Me and my Batec

Hello, my name is Mateo. I’m 13 years old and I live in a small town outside Madrid, called Brunete.
I live with my mum, my dad and my sister, whose name is Isabel (she’s 9) and my dog Bonnie.


I use crutches to get about because I have cerebral palsy from an infection I had when I was born. That means some messages don’t get from my brain down to my legs, and it affects my balance. Crutches are fine for shorter distances, but I need something to help me for bigger distances. When I was smaller I used a bike with a motor which was great for going around the countryside, but I was dependent on adults to help me get on and off the bike, and you can’t take the bike on public transport. 

I investigated different types of bikes and wheelchairs to see if I could find something that suited my needs. This was my list of what’s important:



  • Be more autonomous in my daily life
  • Get to school and back by myself (not always in the car!)
  • Be able to carry school bags, crutches, basketball and things with me
  • Be allowed on public transport (to go into the city)
  • Be able to go on dirt tracks
  • Keep up with everyone else

What I really wanted was to be able to go to school by myself, or with my sister and my friends on bikes. My school is just over a kilometre from my house, so it’s too far to walk. 





I found a wheelchair attachment called a Batec Mobility (http://batec-mobility.com/en/). It has an electric motor and turns a normal wheelchair into a rocket! It’s made in Spain by a company that has lots of employees who use wheelchairs, so they really know what they’re doing. Because it attaches to a wheelchair, it means that I will never be too big for it, because as I grow I only need to change my chair, not the whole thing.

Thanks to some very generous funding I was able to buy a Batec, and this blog is going to be about what I do and where I go with this amazing machine. I hope you like it and come with me on this great adventure!

Comentarios

  1. Bravo Mateo! We are looking forward to hearing where you get to on your Batec. And to January's blog. Are you going to blog in Spanish too? We hope so.

    Los abuelos de Francia are cheering you on!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hola Mateo,
    Que buena idea crear un blog sobre tus andanzas. Tu texto está muy bien redactado! Estoy a la espera de nuevas entradas. Tu tío Felipe.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Increíble la aventura que acabas de comenzar! Estoy deseando leer el próximo post! tu tía Cristina

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hi Matty. It's me, William. I can't believe you are on the internet! Your Batec looks really cool. Maybe we can go for a bike ride together when you come to Buis.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hi Mateo, We love your blog - the batec looks fab. Look forward to reading more blogs from you. Well done. Have a super holiday in Falsegarre with the gang and send love from us all. Sarah, Ted, George and Edward xxxx

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Hi Mateo, We love this, esp seeing you on the snow. Awesome. Great blog, well done. We are just back from our first family ski trip and G and E now love skiing like Ted and I. It was really fun. We hope you are all well. Sending love from Sarah and Ted and G and E xxxxx

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares